Welcome to this Q&A episode of Fast Talk! Today, we’ll address several questions that we received from listeners via email, voicemail, and Twitter. Keep those questions coming!
The first question Coach Connor addresses is about interval work and HIIT exercises, which we use as a springboard to talk about the difference between HIIT and HIT workouts. We then answer the question of whether pyramid intervals are as effective as Tabata intervals.
Next, we tackle a listener question about how to use this time during stay-at-home orders to give your body a break from the constant high carb intake common with training and racing. We reached out to pro rider Petr Vakoc of the Alpecin-Fenix pro team to help us answer the question. Petr has been stuck inside at his training base in Andorra addressing this very issue.
We also take on the question of what constitutes a manageable weekly ramp rate—one that doesn’t generate too much fatigue. After our last Q&A episode which focused on TSS, we received several follow-up questions, which we address: we discuss recovery and, specifically, which tools are most helpful.
We are proud and excited to announce the latest addition to the Fast Labs family of podcasts. “Cycling in Alignment, with Colby Pearce” is now live! Subscribe now on your favorite podcast app. Follow the inner workings of Colby’s mind on social media @cyclinginalignment.
And, finally, please take a moment to take our survey. As we consider the potential for new subscription offerings, we want to hear from our devoted listeners. Your thoughts are extremely important to us at Fast Labs. And thank you for your feedback.
Now, it’s time to Q&A. Let’s make you fast!
- Allen, C., Breslow, E., & Capodilupo, J. (2022). WHOOP The Strengths and Weaknesses of Heart Rate Variability as a Recovery Metric.
- Aubry, Anaë., Hausswirth, C., Louis, J., Coutts, A. J., & Meury, Y. L. (2014). Functional Overreaching: The Key to Peak Performance during the Taper? Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 46(9), 1769–1777. https://doi.org/10.1249/mss.0000000000000301
- Barnett, A. (2006). Using Recovery Modalities between Training Sessions in Elite Athletes. Sports Medicine, 36(9), 781–796. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200636090-00005
- Saw, A. E., Main, L. C., & Gastin, P. B. (2016). Monitoring the athlete training response: subjective self-reported measures trump commonly used objective measures: a systematic review. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 50(5), 281. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2015-094758
- VESTERINEN, V., NUMMELA, A., HEIKURA, I., LAINE, T., HYNYNEN, E., BOTELLA, J., & HÄKKINEN, K. (2016). Individual Endurance Training Prescription with Heart Rate Variability. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 48(7), 1347–1354. https://doi.org/10.1249/mss.0000000000000910